'97 front rotors warped

From: Traci Pearson (pearsontechcomm@frii.com)
Date: Wed Oct 27 2004 - 13:22:43 EDT

Hi all,
I've known since I bought my '97 Dakota 4x4 that my front brake rotors are
slightly warped. Doesn't seem to be a real problem; I anticipate it. On
fairly hard braking, I can feel the slight pulsing of the pads against the
rotors, but that's about all.

My mechanic is concerned about this. He thinks that even the slight pulsing
every time I brake is hard on the linkages and bushings and bearings up
front. I'm not sure I agree that the wear and tear on the front end is
significant, so I thought I'd ask you guys. After all, the truck has a
stiff suspension and I feel every pebble in the road all the time I drive;
adding a little extra under braking doesn't seem that significant to me.

On that same note, IF I decide to fix the problem, I don't know that the
rotors are thick enough to be turned. If I replace them, are the OEM rotors
best or is there a significantly better after-market rotor I should look
at? I run Porterfield RS-compound (racing/street) pads and shoes on the
truck, and I'm very conscious of the fact that I'm responsible for a nearly
6000-lb chunk of metal out there on the road.

Thanks!
Traci

Traci Pearson
Pearson Technical Communication
Writing, Editing, Information Design • Print and Online
pearsontechcomm@frii.com
(303) 410-9101