Re: '97 front rotors warped

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Thu Oct 28 2004 - 11:31:18 EDT

At 01:22 PM 10/27/04, you wrote:
>I've known since I bought my '97 Dakota 4x4 that my front brake rotors
>are slightly warped. Doesn't seem to be a real problem; I anticipate it.
>On fairly hard braking, I can feel the slight pulsing of the pads against
>the rotors, but that's about all. -- SNIP --
>On that same note, IF I decide to fix the problem, I don't know that
>the rotors are thick enough to be turned. If I replace them, are the OEM
>rotors best or is there a significantly better after-market rotor I should
>look
>at? -- SNIP-- Thanks! Traci

A couple of years ago, a DMLer posted the following message. I don't
know if he's still on the list or not. He was running a parts supply store
so I personally weigh in his opinion when anything dealing with brakes
come up.

"Don't machine them, your're taking more metal off a cheap rotor, leaving
less metal to absorb and dissipate the heat. They will just warp faster.
I sell cheap rotors all day as an auto parts store manager, if I can sell a
rotor for a cavalier for 12.50, it probably cost 5.00 or less.
Do yourself a favor, put out money for a quality set of rotors. They don't
have to be slotted, cross-drilled or ribbed for her pleasure...hehe..you'll
never see braking conditions to utilize that technology, unless you drag
race or rallye race all the time. Get a set of Raybestos PG plus rotors
("blue-box", not the "Raymold") or Bendix brand name (be careful to make
sure they are bendix- a lot of cheap companies use their part numbers). The
QS Raybestos pads are good, but about 20.00 more than Bendix Titanium
metallics, which don't dust as much as the stock pads and provide excellent
braking."

At the beginning of this drag racing season, I replaced my oem rotors with
the Raybestos PG plus rotors. I've been very pleased with them both on
the street and on the strip. You'll find other posts in the archives that have
had similar experiences with these rotors. HTH.

Bob Tom Ontario, Canada
97 Dakota CC Sport, na modded 5.2L, 4x2, 44RE w transgo, 4.56 SG,
      3000 stall converter, 4120 lb race weight, 13.98 @ 99.85