Re: Re: Exhaust and Cat question..

From: Kyle Vanditmars (kylevan@telus.net)
Date: Wed Oct 27 2004 - 21:34:48 EDT

Mike Sykes wrote:

> I can tell ya' from experience that 3" exhaust on a V6 is too big and will
> really hurt your output. I know a cat-back is easier to install and stuff,
> but 2.5" is optimum and there are very few 2.5" cat-backs out there. My
> advice is to peice together a 2.5" exhaust using a 2.5" hi-flow cat and a
> 2.5" single inlet muffler. At this point you could go with a dual outlet
> muffler and have the pipes bent to you liking. You'll end up saving money
> in the long run and get the exhaust exactly like you want it.
> I can't stress it enough, 3" is too big for a V6 that's not built, blown
> or juiced.
>
> -miggity
> Newport News VA
> 2000 FR R/T CC
>
> "...someone set up us the bomb...."

Interestingly enough, my '92, as far as I can tell, came with 3" exhaust
between the y-pipe and the muffler, with a 2.5" tailpipe. The cat and
piping ahead of and behind it are all 3", and that's the way I bought it.
So, when the muffler rusted out and the tailpipe fell off a couple years
back, I replaced it with a 3" in/out flowmaster 40 and 3" tailpipe. It's
loud and mean, but this dynomax system from summit has piqued my interest -
particularly if I can pick up some more grunt out of it.