Re: Exhaust and Cat question..

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Mon Nov 01 2004 - 20:29:56 EST

You aren't going to see a big difference in a cat back system on an otherwise
stock engine anyway, regardless of the size of the tailpipe. The improvement
you do see is going to come from the less restrictive muffler.

FWIW, the pipes that you get with a cat back system are manderal bent compared
to compression bent in a stock system. They will flow better than the stock
pipe because they do not have the crimps from bending. The difference is likely
not noticable to the seat of your pants.

Again FWIW, I have the Flowmaster Cat back system that came with a 2.5"in 3"out
three chamber muffler and a 3" tailpipe on my 3.9. It made a noticable
differnence above 3000 rpm but no change below that rpm. The v8 throttle body
and air intake also only helped in the upper rpm range.

If I hadn't got the system for x-mas from my wife I would have just cut out the
stock muffler and replaced it with a performance muffler. IMHO, If you are
looking save some money swap the muffler. If you are looking for less hassles
installing it go for the cat back regardless of whether it has a 3" tailpipe or
2.5" tailpipe.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4