Magnum Head Valve Spring and Retainer Question

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Mon Nov 08 2004 - 19:03:17 EST

Guys, I am currently building a LA 360 for my 68 Barracuda and I am using
Magnum heads off a 98 5.9.

The cam I am using is a COMP XE268 which recomends a spring p/n 901-16. This
spring is larger in diameter at the retainer end than the Magnum springs making
the retainers to small. The retainers on the orignal 360 LA heads are the right
diameter but are sized for 3/8" diameter valves stems (magnum heads use a 5/16"
stem).

I know MP has "heavy duty" retainers for the Magnum head but there is no
indication that these are any larger in diameter plus they are twice the cost
of COMP/Crane/Crower retainers.

Anyone have a part number of a retainer that has an OD of 1.5" and is sized for
a 5/16" valve stem? Or a part number for a lock that fits the single groove
magnum retainers and can be used with the LA retainers?

Thanks,
Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4