Re: RE: Popping while Engine Braking

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Mon Nov 08 2004 - 19:14:13 EST

Michael Maskalans wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Rick Barnes wrote:
>

>>You have an exhaust leak..it is sucking cold air in during deceleration...
>

> cold air in the exhaust would cause popping?
>
> I don't think I'm understanding what you're talking about. And I'm
> curious since my RamCharger pops (I've always just assumed it was
> backfiring from running too rich) severly on decel unless I hold the
> throttle open a touch....
> --
> Mike Maskalans
> SAS '98 Dak
> Stock '84 RamCharger
> sigless in PINE

err - doub't cold air has anything to do with it. Now I don't know this
for a fact, and its only based upon my assumptions and deductuve
reasoning - so feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong - but that
  popping seems to have something to do with the back pressures in the
exhaust, specifically when deaccelerating. My Ram does it all the time
- and by the way - I LOVE THAT POPPING! I've been known to downshift
deliberatly to make that popping sound. Anyway - when under throttle -
the engine is forcing exhaust out at greater speed and with more flow
than when you are downshifting and have your foot off the gas. The
engine is also effecting the trucks speed, increasing it. When
downshifting - at closed throttle, the deacceleration dictates the
engine speed and reduces it as the truck slows. I don't quite
understand it really and I seem to be having difficulty putting it into
words. But its something.... err - heck I dunno.. I'm pretty sure
that this happens to any car or truck. The muffler is what quiets that
popping down - so we don't notice it. Having no muffler - like I do -
makes it much much more obvious heheh.

hmm - think of sucking the exhaust out vs blowing it out - that make any
sence??

Attention Infidels: I am your official DBDoMPfIWUMOT!