Re: 87-91 Compared to 91-96

From: Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com
Date: Tue Nov 09 2004 - 11:00:46 EST

In article <41900DD2.9090101@aol.com>, SilverEightynine@aol.com (Terrible Tom)
writes:

> 87-90 = Gen I
> 91-96 = Gen II
> 97-04 = Gen III
> 05+ = Gen IV

Remember, these are strictly popular DML/Internet designations, according to ma
mopar

87-96 = “N” body
97-04 = “AN” body
05+ = ????

> The differences between Gen I and Gen II's are significant

Not as significant as you think, they’re both based on the same body.

- but not as
> significant as that of the differences between Gen I+II's VS Gen III's
>
> Gen I and Gen II have the same cabs, beds, frames, axles, and general
> suspension designs. The front suspensions have different brakes, ball
> joints and tierods I believe... bolt patterns also changed between
> generations.

That is correct; The Dakota required the beefing up of some of the front end
components to compensate for the additional weight of the V8 option. Remember,
these trucks were originally designed to only be 4 cyl with an optional V6. It
was the popularity of the Shelby model and the desire to out power GM & Ford in
the target market that pushed the introduction of the V8 option in 91. The
change in the radiator support, grill and such was strictly to accommodate the
longer V8 block. It was product evolution and not a redesign as many tend to
believe.

> You can bolt a Gen II front clip to a Gen I or the other
> way around... but the fenders, hood, radiator support, grill,
> headlights, and front bumpers are different.

Fenders are the same

> Any 1987 - 1996 rear
> bumper will fit any of those trucks, same for tail gates. However in
> the later Gen II years - a "high mount" third brake light was added to
> the tail gates. That was in 1995 and 1996 - possibly in 1994 as well.

The tailgates also had a slight change in the stamping die. The earlier
tailgates had the word “DODGE” stamped into the sheet metal skin where later
tailgates were only decals. They are still interchangeable (87-96) though.

> Interiors are different in a few minor ways. Different steering wheels
> across the years. Drivers side air bag was added to the Gen II's - dont
> know what year. 1990 Was the only year that the Gen I Club Cab truck
> existed. 1989 Also had the premagnum 318 V* powered Shelby Daks, as
> well as convertable Dakotas between 1989 and 1990.

Both of which were done by 3rd party companies licensed/contracted by Dodge.
All those trucks originally left the factory as regular cab/V6 trucks. Shelby
pulled the V6s and replaced those with Dodge “crate” 318 long blocks. The only
performance upgrade was the use of an electric fan (because of space
limitations) which gave them 5hp more than a stock 318 of that time. The
convertibles were done by APC (I think that was the name) who reinforced the
rear of the cab, cut the roof and door tops off and installed the top and trim
along a safety bar.

> I sorta remember once reading that there were a hand full
> of convertable Daks sold in 1991, as a requirement to fufill build
> orders with the conversion company.

If I recall correctly, APC was about a dozen or two short of the contracted
1800 or so. There were a handful of 91 convertibles built to fulfill the
contract with Dodge.

There were also several other “special edition” Dakotas built over the years.
In 1987, in conjunction with the introduction of the New Dakota “Mid Size”,
Dodge was able to arrange for it to be the “Official Truck of the Indianapolis
500” with an Indy 500 edition built by Dodge. They were basically reg. cab,
short bed, 4x4 with a factory installed light bar w/ Bosch Off-Road lamps,
Bosch fog lamps and multicolored stripe decals on the sides. Eventually it
became the “Sport” package which was a “mid-year” release in May of ’88. The
“youth” Sport package (w/ stripes like mine) was only suppose to be for ’88 but
demand caused Dodge to continue the package in ’89 with it eventually becoming
a regular option package, though the light bar and stripes were omitted.
I’ve also heard rumors of a “Walker Evans” edition which supposedly had dealer
installed pre-runner styled front and rear bumpers with some decals. There
were some 3rd party “Dodge Express” & “Mopar Express” editions that had
fiberglass, step side styled beds along with some other accents. There was
also a short lived “Lil’ Red Dakota” edition that spanned Gen I & II (90-91)
with non-functional stacks styled after the 78-79 Lil’ Red Express Dodge
Trucks.