Re: 87-91 Compared to 91-96

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Mon Nov 08 2004 - 19:22:42 EST

WAJK1976@aol.com wrote:
> Hello All
> I have a question for you. I own a 93 Dakota and I was wondering if
> the 87 to 91 truck the same as the 91 to 96 trucks? I know the Magnum and
> Pre-magnum engines are different. I know the front ends are different too. What
> about the inside of the trucks, the doors, box, tailgate, etc...
> Do you know if the front end (grill and headlights) are
> interchangeable from 88 to a 93 truck?
>
> Thanks
> From Jessie

87-90 = Gen I
91-96 = Gen II
97-04 = Gen III
05+ = Gen IV

The differences between Gen I and Gen II's are significant - but not as
significant as that of the differences between Gen I+II's VS Gen III's

Gen I and Gen II have the same cabs, beds, frames, axles, and general
suspension designs. The front suspensions have different brakes, ball
joints and tierods I believe... bolt patterns also changed between
generations. You can bolt a Gen II front clip to a Gen I or the other
way around... but the fenders, hood, radiator support, grill,
headlights, and front bumpers are different. Any 1987 - 1996 rear
bumper will fit any of those trucks, same for tail gates. However in
the later Gen II years - a "high mount" third brake light was added to
the tail gates. That was in 1995 and 1996 - possibly in 1994 as well.

Interiors are different in a few minor ways. Different steering wheels
across the years. Drivers side air bag was added to the Gen II's - dont
know what year. 1990 Was the only year that the Gen I Club Cab truck
existed. 1989 Also had the premagnum 318 V* powered Shelby Daks, as
well as convertable Dakotas between 1989 and 1990. They came in 2wd and
4x4 models. I sorta remember once reading that there were a hand full
of convertable Daks sold in 1991, as a requirement to fufill build
orders with the conversion company.

There will be a quiz on friday.

Attention Infidels: I am your official DBDoMPfIWUMOT!