Re: Any suggestions on how best to route the wire?

From: Barry Oliver (barryoliver@insightbb.com)
Date: Sat Nov 13 2004 - 13:24:40 EST

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 12:19:07 -0500, "Josh Battles" <josh@omg-stfu.com>
wrote:

> "Terrible Tom" <SilverEightynine@aol.com> wrote in message
>>
>> wow... I'm seriously impressed. This is what separates guys like me
>> from guys like Jon. I graduated from the McGuyver School Of
>> Engineering. Fix anything and build anything out of bubble gum, barb
>> wire, and tooth floss and get it fixed just in the nick of time to get
>> me where I'm goin and it could break down at any given moment. I'm
>> lucky it works at all let alone if it looks good or not! LOL
>
> Duct tape and bailing wire is not an acceptable solution, no matter what
> the
> locals tell you. My dad told me something all the time when I was a
> little
> kid, that a job worth doing was worth doing right the first time. It
> sounds
> like you need to explore this avenue. Don't worry though, it only hurts
> the
> first time.

I suspect most of this list has never seen bailing wire [no offense
intended],
however, ZIPTIES are the new modern equivalent. Duct tape still rules,
though.
  I have a neighbor that has been driving with a duct taped broken window
for
several years now [one of the back ones] He just goes out every oince in a
while and applies a new layer. I think he would have had a new window for
what he has spent in duct tape by now...

>> Jon? Nope - no bubble gum and tooth floss for him! Jon goes all out
>> from blueprints to the finished product... all perfectly powdercoated,
>> soldered, and shiny. And then says he could have built it better LOL
>
> A well laid plan helps to alleviate any potential problems later on down
> the
> line. If I would have installed stereos the way that you perform
> repairs,
> I'd have been out of business before I even started. If everything is
> all
> drawn out and carefully planned, it helps you to troubleshoot failures
> down
> the line, because you know exactly where everything is as well as what it
> is. Then again, I'm borderline obsessive compulsive about stuff like
> that
> and an engineering major, so YMMV.

Borderline? Heh, no, my friend you are not merely borderline.
But I will admit you do good work...