Re: 1993 V6 to V8 Conversion

From: Gary Hedlin (garyhedlin@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Sun Nov 14 2004 - 01:15:42 EST

> That true - but I would not use the stock tranny that was behind a V6,
> with a V8 in front of it. The 42RH/E is NOT strong enough for even a
> stock 318 or 360. The "strength" rating is in the 2nd number.
>
> 42RH is what comes behing the V6.
>
> the 4 denotes the number of forward gears
>
> the 2 is the strength rating (higher the stronger)
>
> R is rear wheel drive (primary)
>
> H is for the Hydraulic or E for Electronic on newer trannys
>
> Going with a V8 engine conversion? Go with a V8 tranny conversion too.

Depending on what truck it's going in, he might need a trans controller too
if you're going with an electric controlled trans. But really, If I was
swapping engines and needed a hydraulic trans, I would look into a 727
instead of a 44/46. 727 would be a very nice transmission, and could easily
take any abuse dished out to it.

And yes, I have seen 318's bolted up to a 727 in some of the 80's rams & ram
chargers. Not saying its the way to go, but definitely worth looking into.
:)

--

Gary Hedlin www.garyhedlin.com 2005 Dakota SLT CC 4.7 5spd 1998 Dakota Sport RC 3.9