Re: RE: Re: Head Unit

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Nov 16 2004 - 14:50:52 EST

"Wayne Allewelt" <wallewelt@mai-aec.com> wrote:

: Done checked out crutchfield. They're great if you want adapter plates and
: items that install without fabrication, but for fully custom work they are
: useless.

: My plan is to use the factory unit shell and face plate as a dummy
: flipdown/up face when the afermarket head unit is not on. By doing this the
: aftermarket head unit sticks out the back of the factory shell about but not
: more than 2". What I need to know without tearing the dash or anything else
: off is how much room is there behing the factory unit?

: Does anyone know of any other sites that might have this information?

   Unfortunately, I don't have much info that could be of use
to you - just wanted to chime in and say I really like the idea
of hiding an aftermarket head unit inside of the factory one -
pretty cool; I wish I had thought of that. :-)

  Regarding your question, I think the dash in the GenIII Dak
comes off pretty easy; there might be a couple of screws down
in the driver's footwell area, but it pretty much just pulls
right off the dash, then it should be just 4 screws to pull
the radio out. Anyway, shouldn't be too difficult to just pull
the dash off and have a first hand look at what sort of room is
available. (Though I can definitely understand wanting to get
all the info you can beforehand.) :-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'