Re: RE: Re: Head Unit

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Tue Nov 16 2004 - 15:17:05 EST

Wayne Allewelt wrote:
> Done checked out crutchfield. They're great if you want adapter plates and
> items that install without fabrication, but for fully custom work they are
> useless.
>
> My plan is to use the factory unit shell and face plate as a dummy
> flipdown/up face when the afermarket head unit is not on. By doing this the
> aftermarket head unit sticks out the back of the factory shell about but not
> more than 2". What I need to know without tearing the dash or anything else
> off is how much room is there behing the factory unit?
>
> Does anyone know of any other sites that might have this information?
>
> Thank you for the suggestion of Crutchfield anyhow?

Call Crutchfield. Tell them you are looking at buying a new receiver
but you want to know how deep the opening is. They have all of that
information -- it's how they tell you if certain receivers fit or not.

If you (or anyone else on the list) has one of their recent catalogs,
there's also a chart in there that will list the maximum receiver depth.

 From what I remember when I removed my factory head unit (2000), there
was definitely more than 2" behind it. However, make sure you take into
account how far the wires will stick out the back of the replacement
head unit. Depending on what you need connected, you may need to get
some right-angle adapters if space is tight).

-Bill