DML 10th Anniversary National Meet

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Thu Nov 18 2004 - 23:22:02 EST

Bill Pitz wrote:I'd love to make it to the BBQ, but it's just too far to be
> practical for me to drive. I could fly, but then I wouldn't have my
> truck, which would defeat the whole purpose.
>
> It seems to me that the only remotely fair way to do it is going to be
> to pick a spot in the middle of the country. That way it isn't *too*
> far from either coast. Sure, the people who live in the middle of the
> country will be closer, but we have to give those folks some >advantages
> seomtimes :-)

I was thinking that was pretty much what was going to have to be - if we
were to pull off a national meet.

Pulling out my trusty paper atlas - I see that a state like Missouri or
southern Iowa or far western Illinois - might be a geographic "center"
of an area. Making the distance more equalized for most people. Doing
a few Map Quest checks like:

Rochester, NY to St. Louis, MO - 850 miles
San Francisco, CA to Kansas City, KS - 1800 miles!
Dallas, TX to Kansas City, KS - 550 miles

The MO, IL, KS region would seem to me to be kinda the "target zone"

As for location - I think it would be cool to scope out some little one
horse town, and invade it. Much like Sturgis heheheh.

The issue of accomidations is a problem however. Where would everyone
stay? I think inorder for this to be worth it to many people -
including myself - we should have a few days to BS and get together.
Someone suggested a campground - I think that would be a really cool
idea. Where we would go would depend on hoe many people would actually
be going. As the DML home page says - there are approximatly 800 or
some registered members - with only about 200 active. If all 800
members were to show up - or even half that figure, an average
campground won't work.

Would a "Fuel Fund" be an idea worth persuing? Helping to raise some
cash for fuel for members who might not be able to afford it?

Lodging costs would be a factor - logically it would seem to take
whatever costs are associated with lodging or accomidations and split it
equally among the attending members. I think we could provide or own
food and beverages. Have one HELL of a BBQ?

One idea that just occured to me - instead of trying to get a meet
together on the weekend of the 10th anniversary - perhaps the DML BBQ
for 2006 could be relocated to our 10th Ann. location? Follow me? If
we celebrated the 10th ann. in the summer of 2006 - instead of in
November of 2005 - perhaps more people could make it? More people could
get time off in the summer, better weather, not close to thanksgiving or
Christmas - both times of the year when money for a long ass cross
country trek, would be sparce.

I would be more than willing to coordinate such a gathering. I am
really charged up about this! How about everyone else? Can we actually
make this happen!?!?! Lets do it!

Attention Infidels: I am your official DBDoMPfIWUMOT!