Re: Re: Re: DML 10th Anniversary National Meet

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Nov 23 2004 - 01:28:05 EST

Matt Brenneke <brenneke@gmail.com> wrote:
: On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:21:05 -0500, Andy Levy <andy.levy@gmail.com> wrote:
:>
:> On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 08:38:12 -0500, Bill Day <billday@comwares.net> wrote:
:> >
:> > Man that would so rock if I didnt have to drive 1500 miles...
:> >
:> > The one-horse town deal would be kewl, isn't there an off-road park in
:> > Missourri? Myabe there's a little town near it.. camping.. fair summer
:> > weather.....
:>
:> Yeah, it's down at the south end of the state, it's called Arkansas.
:>

: Hehe, yeah. I drove down for a vacation around Bull Shoals Lake a
: couple years ago. The second we crossed the state line the road went
: from smooth and paved to rocky and beat to hell. The little bit of
: I-55 through Arkansas is the same way. So from Andy's comment and my
: two data points, we can extrapolate that the whole state is an
: off-road park!

   So I'm not the only one! :-) Several years back, I drove to Texas
with an enclosed trailer (behind my Dak) to pick up an airplane and
I don't recall what road it was (probably US 30), but we were going
through Arkansas and the roads were rough, bumpy and generally crappy.
This was especially annoying with a large trailer in tow. It was also
an overcast and generally dreary day. Suddenly, the road went smooth
as glass, the sun broke out of the clouds (I kid you not!), and a large
sign said "Welcome to Texas". Right after crossing the border, we
stopped for gas, and the station was an old time gas station, with the
old pumps, etc. it was like stepping back in time to the 1950s - VERY
cool. Anyway, it was quite a welcome to Texas; the sun coming out
like that was just a remarkable coincidence, but it sure made the trip
memorable. :-)

  That experience and a historic sign near Little Rock that said
"Birthplace of Bill Clinton" which somebody had stuck a Bush/Dole
sticker on are my only two memories of Arkansas. :-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'