Re: What about Lake Powell?

From: ffastje (ffastje@cox.net)
Date: Tue Nov 23 2004 - 17:55:53 EST

Joe Levy wrote:

> We passed through on our way between Grand Canyon and Bryce/Zion back in
> September. From the Glen Canyon Dam, the lake looks very low, and I just
> saw an announcement about a massive release intended to restore some
> animal habitats downstream. Many marinas are shut down because their
> docks don't extend to the water anymore. Of course, that could all
> change with a good, wet winter. But, it's a beautiful area and lots of
> stuff to do.
> Page, AZ (at the Glen Canyon Dam) is near (relatively) both North and
> South Rims of the Grand Canyon, Zion Nat'l Park, Bryce Canyon Nat'l
> Park, and within driving distance (less than a day's drive) of 4
> Corners, Arches, Canyonlands, Moab, Mesa Verde, Sedona.
> But, be warned, it's not a short drive for anyone. It's about 2400 miles
> from our home near Albany.
>
> Joe
>
> Jason Bleazard wrote:
>
>> Just wanted to see what people think about Lake Powell for the national
>> meet. I mentioned it in a previous post down near the bottom, but the
>> more I think of it, the more I like it.
>>
>> There is almost limitless recreation including boating (you can rent wave
>> runners, speed boats, water skiis and houseboats), white-water rafting,
>> off-roading (I'm sure we could rent Jeeps as well, it's close enough to
>> Moab that we could get them there if nothing else) and camping. It's
>> close enough to the Grand Canyon and Four Corners that we could do either
>> or both of those as day trips. It's a huge lake, you could spend weeks
>> exploring all the little side canyons in a boat and still not see
>> everything. There's also a small airport there. I might be able to
>> convince my dad to give scenic airplane rides to anyone willing to pay
>> for
>> the fuel. Or, I also know the operator of the Moab airport, a big
>> part of
>> their business is scenic tours around that area, that's another
>> possibility.
>>
>> The only down sides I can think of are the fact that it's going to be a
>> really long drive for anyone in the northeast, and it gets really hot
>> there in the later summer. Of course, the heat isn't so much of a
>> problem
>> at a lake, but it's a consideration. We'd probably want to go around the
>> June timeframe. The distance could be a problem, though. I'm willing to
>> do it, not sure about anyone else.
>>
>> I can dig up links if you want, but really all I'd do would be head to
>> Google and key in "Lake Powell" and see what I come up with. Maybe "Lake
>> Powell recreation", "Lake Powell camping", and so on.
>>
>> Any thoughts?

Did not reply to the first post but i may be interested. In this year my
wife is getting ready to attend school full time. I may have a job for
the next two years. My son needs to see the grand canyon and so do I. So
this may be the only year i could attend something like this. So what
dates are we really looking at?

--
Francis Fastje
1999 CC 3.9L 4x4