Re: Recomendations for frame Restoration, Need Help.

From: Gary Hedlin (garyhedlin@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Wed Nov 24 2004 - 01:11:14 EST

On 11/23/04 11:24 PM, in article co15qm$iig$1@bent.twistedbits.net, "Josh
Battles" <josh@omg-stfu.com> wrote:

> If it was me doing it, I'd try going with something rubberized and
> thick, kind of like a spray in bedliner. This way it'll take a little
> more abuse. If you start flexing the frame and driving over rocks and
> stuff, that powdercoat is toast.

Well, undercoating is an option, but A, you have to re-apply it every so
often and B, with a truck that old, yould only be sealing in any rust
already on there. Plus, since he would be doing a frame off, he would be
stupid not to AT LEAST get the frame sandblasted and do the POR-15

Now if you did the POR-15 and then the undercoating, I could see
that....yould have double the protection.

Also, I talked to the guy who did the Rhino on BOTH of my trucks, and even
he wouldn't recommend it for the simple facts that yould be adding a lot of
weight to the vehicle and adding even 1/8 of an inch to the frame thickness
would make it a living hell for putting your bolts back in. I think when a
Rhino dealer tells you he wouldn't do it.... Kinda says something! :)

I do agree with ya on the powder coating. Any frame flex or rock chips
would reek havoc on it. But for a show car its probably the best you can
get. Even though I really like powder coating, I wouldn't have a frame
coated for a vehicle I would be driving regularly.

--

Gary Hedlin www.garyhedlin.com 2005 Dakota SLT CC 4.7 5spd 1998 Dakota Sport RC 3.9