Re: National Meet Needs To Be Central For Everyone

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Nov 26 2004 - 16:52:19 EST

Walt@walt-n-ingrid.com wrote:

: Another passing thought, where ever we agree upon should be near a major city.
: We’ve already had some mention of people possibly flying in to attend and a
: location hundreds of miles from the nearest commercial airport isn’t going to
: be much better than driving out. I’m sure it’s possible to transfer to smaller
: regional carriers but we would want to keep it with-in reason for time vs. cost
: vs. hassle.

: In addition, a city gives us a better selection of secondary activities to do.
: Museums, ball parks, amusement parks, etc….

  Yup, I think its going to be something of a balancing act...
Just from the vibe I have been getting in general from the list,
the idea of camping out in a nice picturesque setting seems to
be getting a lot of favorable play. In order to make that work,
I think we're probably going to have to be a decent distance
away from the major city, but on the other hand, as you say
usually the secondary activities drop as you get further away
from the population centers.

  As far as the airport aspect goes, I can't speak for anyone
else, but as someone who will probably be flying in and renting
a vehicle, I'll throw my $.02 in... Don't be too concerned with
me as far as being close to a major airport goes. If I have to
drive 300 miles, 500 miles, whatever, I don't mind. I'll just
make sure to get a rental with unlimited mileage. I mean, other
folks will probably be driving 1500 miles or so; the least I
can do is to drive a few hundred myself. :-) So anyway, as
I said, I don't know if anyone else is planning to fly in, if
so I can't speak for them, but speaking for myself, I wouldn't
worry too much about staying close to the major airports. Our
drive will still be much less than average...

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'