Re: DML 10th Anniversary National Meet Updates

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Sun Nov 28 2004 - 10:51:26 EST

(Sorry if this is a duplicate, I clicked "save as draft" but I think my e-mail
program might have sent it anyway.)

On November 27, 2004 10:40 pm, Michael Maskalans wrote:

> Possible locations - St. Louis: St. Joe state park is an hour+ south of
> St. Louis, so they're really not equivalent.

For the purposes of this exercise, I'm counting anything within a radius of a
2 hour drive to be "the local area". Take Denver for example, a lot of the
stuff we found is not located right in Denver itself.

> Moab:
> lack of lakes,

I am considering Lake Powell to be part of the Moab area. Plus there are the
Colorado and Green Rivers which offer great water recreation opportunities.

> few museums, no amusement parks

There are museums as well as historical sites. We even found a waterslide
park. Golf courses, brewpubs, wineries, they've really built the area up in
the 20 years since I lived in Green River. Too bad it's so far west, I
personally think this area would be a huge blast. The only thing it's
missing is drag racing, unfortunately it's quite a drive to get up to the
Bonneville Salt Flats.

> caters more to the offroading than anything else.

Unless of course you're in to hiking, mountain biking, rock climbing, white
water rafting, or driving around in your Subaru munching granola and enjoying
a little cannabis. There are a lot of these "Granola" guys and gals running
around the area. :-)