Re: DML 10th Anniversary National Meet

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Mon Nov 29 2004 - 13:43:59 EST

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> I've got a AAA membership, I wonder if I stop in the local AAA
> office, they might have some free service I could take advantage of
> to see what sort of destinations and attractions are "out west"?
> (I'm sure they just love vague questions like that.) ;-)
>
> AAA: Where do you want to go?
> DML: We dunno - somewhere west-like, maybe with some mountains
> and camping and stuff? And other stuff too?
> AAA: Ummm, ok, what would you like to do out there?
> DML: Dunno. Look at trucks and do stuff. Give us stuff to do.
>
> ;-)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHH!!!! - - RIOT! LMFAO!!!

> Just off the top of my head, here are some activities that come
> to mind that I would personally find enjoyable:
>
> - Having most of the group camped together in a pretty cool location

This one point I am going to press real hard for - the one single
underlying thread in all this is Unity Among The DML! (if such a
concept is possible among us LOL)

I suppose it doesn't have to be camping but damnit I want it to be - for
good reasons. Its more of a personal setting, I love sitting around a
camp fire at night. I'm sure some would not like the idea of camping,
and would want to find a decent motel some place - and thats just fine.
  But the more unity the better.

> - Doing some hiking,

Would be fine with me as long as its not too long a trail heh.

> - Another possible subset of the above might be (if enough people
> were interested) would be for a group to head out on an overnight
> hiking expedition. I don't know if there would be as much interest
> in this since we would probably be camping out anyway, just thought
> it might allow for a little more range and an additional level of
> interest.

Ok - anything overnight where we would be manuevering in the dark like
that = Already Established As BAD! heheh

> - Museums would be OK (though my personal interest level would vary
> depending on what kind of museum it was.) :-)

Would depend on the museum... cool science stuff = Win! ... Museum Of
Historical Sock Darning Methods = Loose

> - An amusement/water park could also be fun. (Though as Ed can no
> doubt attest, I'm no roller coaster fan.) ;-)

Death To All Rollercoaster Rides!!!

> - Offroading - as we know from the BBQ, this is usually a lot of fun :-)
> even if it wasn't anything hard core, just trail riding, this could be
> fun. And this could also be similar to the hiking ideas above - except
> that instead of being on foot, we would be in vehicles.

YES to offroading

> - Drag racing - This isn't really a requirement for me, though I would
> certainly be happy to come along and possibly even participate in my
> rental car. ;-)

YES to drag racing

> - Shooting ranges?

Falls into a catagory of "stuff members of the DML prolly should never
do in a large group" LOL

> - There might be some things we can do at "base camp", assuming of
> course that we do decide to camp in a group and thus actually
> *have* a "base camp". Things like lawn jenga, possibly things like
> "capture the flag", or paintball, etc?

My brainchild idea of things was basically along this line of thinking:

A group of DMLers - out camping, with access to offroading, drag
racing, and interesting and cool local/regional attractions. That
simple. I had not thought about the possibility that people might not
want to drag race their rig, when they have hundrids of miles to drive
home. And being that I know nothing about reserving a track for our use
- I can't help much there. I would want to participate in drag racing
more than I would want to watch it really. (well I would want to watch
us DMLers drag race - that goes without saying - but to just attend a
stip to see random Camaros and Mustangs and Ricers flexing testosterone,
eh - not as much fun as if we were out racing)

I gotta get out the door and get to work - I'm only cought up as far as
11/26 with the dml posts - so I'll be posting more when I get home and
have read more.

Attention Infidels: I am your official DBDoMPfIWUMOT!