Re: DML 10th Anniversary National Meet

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Nov 29 2004 - 15:57:24 EST

"Norah Bleazard" <dml@bleazard.net> wrote:
[...]
: You gave me an idea Bob. Seeing as not everyone has a GPS, maybe we could
: organize teams. Groups of however many. Even make it a bit of a
: competition. First team to find the specific Geocache wins.

   That's an interesting thought. Here's another one, based on Norah's
thought which was based on Bob's thought. :-) Perhaps something like this:

  - 2 teams (though it could also be adapted to 4, 6, 8, etc.)

  - Each team has a "treasure", which are essentially identical except that
    they can be identified as belonging to team 1 or team 2 (perhaps
    something like a tennis ball with the number "1" or "2" written on it)
    The identical-ness of the treasure is so that no team has an advantage
    in that regard.

  - Starting from a common point, each team has X minutes to go off and hide
    their treasure, they then note the coordinates of the treasure, and come
    back to the starting point before time expires. The time limit is to
    try and keep the distances for both teams roughly the same.

  - The teams then exchange coordinates and have Y minutes to go over the
    maps, program their GPSs, plan, etc.

  - After the time is up, both teams are released, and they attempt to locate
    the other team's treasure. First team back (with all members?) to the
    starting point with the opposite team's treasure wins.

   This sort of game could be played on foot, or in a large enough area
I suppose the Daks could be involved. :-) It might be a good idea to have
some rules like burying the treasure is not allowed, and perhaps a limit
such as it must be no higher than 6 or 8 feet above ground level.

   The only thing I don't like about the game as I've created it is it
seems like it might not be very challenging because by just swapping
coordinates, essentially its a race to a known place. I suppose an
element of strategy could be incorporated by the teams themselves, based
on the locations they choose. (For example, choosing a location across
a river with cliffs on both side, such that by looking at a map, it
might not be obvious that the straight line approach is not the fastest
route.)
   Perhaps some challenge could be introduced by forcing the teams to
solve other problems first. (For example, a team needs to complete one
task in order to get the lattitude coordinates, and another to get the
longitude.) I have no idea what those tasks might be though, and this
sort of implies the need for some sort of coordinator at base camp, which
I tend to shy away from because the coordinator is a neutral party and
doesn't get to participate in all of the fun. Or perhaps we could have
3 treasures for each team - the main treasure, a lattitude treasure, and
a longitude treasure. The lattitude and longitude treasures are
containers such that they contain a piece of paper with the appropriate
info written on it. (If we use tennis balls, perhaps just slit them so
that a slip of paper can be placed inside.) After a team hides the main
treasure, they write the lattitude on a piece of paper and put it in the
lattitude treasure and do the same for the longitude. Then they go off
and hide both the lattitude and longitude treasures (in different
locations, preferably). :-) When the teams get back together, the
coordinates they swap are not for the main treasure but for the lattitude
and longitude treasures. That way, a team needs to find 2 treasures
before they have the final coordinates. This doesn't necessarily add
more challenge per-se since it is basically the same activity, but it
does make the game more involved and introduces more randomness and
chance.

  Anyhoo, that oozed out of my brain on the spot, so no doubt there are
other details that would need to be hammered out, but what do you
think? Perhaps we could beta test it at the '05 BBQ. :-)

: I did have a couple of other ideas.... I'm not really into golfing... but
: would anyone be interested in a DML Golf tournament (just a day thing)???

   I would be up for that. I am not great at golf and have only played a
few times, but it sounds like that could be fun. (Anybody see the golfing
scene in "Navy Seals"?) ;-) I actually took a golf class in college -
it was to fulfil a GCP requirement for my degree. :-) But that's the
last time I was "on the links". I suspect we would need to find a course
that rents clubs, though, especially for those of us who are flying in. (Or
we could play like the lawyer in Caddyshack (2?) - with a driver and a putter
- "you only have two clubs there!" "<sarcasm>how many do you need?</sarcasm>")
;-)

  Another thought might be doing mini golf; that can be fun, there are
some pretty cool "adventure" style courses out there.

: Another idea I had was... to pick a day towards the end of the meet and have
: a big Big BBQ Celebration Night Closing BBQ(burgers, dogs, etc.) under the
: DML Banner and Canopy???

   That sounds like a good idea. Perhaps we could do this several nights?
(Would be cheaper than going out to a restauraunt every night.) :-)
Maybe do something similar on some days for lunch? Maybe everybody could
chip in for bread, rolls, cold cuts, etc. and we could keep them in the
fridge in Jason & Norah's RV? (If that is OK with them, I didn't mean to
volunteer other people's equipment - sorry!) :-)

: Just some random thoughts flying around :-)

  I like 'em! I think we're really on a roll here - I'm getting
excited about this meet! :-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'