Re: National Meet --> Group Activities

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Nov 29 2004 - 16:16:03 EST

"Josh Battles" <josh@omg-stfu.com> wrote:

: <jon@dakota-truck.net> wrote in message
: news:cofqkn$ql5$1@bent.twistedbits.net...
:>
:> etc. My Dad was a Phys Ed. major, and he invented a game that is a lot
:> of fun called "Death Ball" that was a hit with the neighborhood kids.
:> Death Ball needs to be played at night though. :-)

: I must now learn about "death ball" Please elaborate

   Now I'm going to have to try and remember the rules! Its been probably
20 years since I last played it. :-) Here are the details as I remember it:

   The game is sort've a cross between hide & seek, capture the flag and
dodgeball. The game is played with one ball, like a playground ball or
a dodgeball. A certain location (pole, tree, etc.) is chosen as "safe".
One person is chosen as the person who is "it" (I'll call them the "hunter"
for lack of a better term). This person gets the ball. The hunter covers
their eyes/turns away, etc. and counts to 100 or for a minute, or whatever.
While the hunter is doing that, everyone else (the prey?) ;-) spreads out
and hides. After the count is over, the hunter goes out and looks for the
people who have hidden. If he finds someone, the hunter can tag them "out"
by hitting them with the ball. (This is where the dodgeball aspect comes
into play.) Unfortunately, I do not remember if catching the ball does any
good in this game - I don't think it does, you have to avoid all contact
with the ball.) Anyway, while the hunter is out trying to find people and
get them out, the people are trying to get to the "safe" location and touch
it. As such, its not like hide & seek where you have to stay put, the entire
field of people is constantly in motion, moving from hiding place to hiding
place, trying to get into a position where they think they can make a break
for safety, but while also staying out of sight of the hunter.

   That's why it is played at night, with as little ambient light as possible,
to create nice dark shadows. The location should also have things like trees,
shrubbery, and other objects to create shadows and also hide behind.

   There may be other details which I have forgotten, but I think that's
about the gist of it.

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'