Re: DML 10th Anniversary National Meet

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Nov 29 2004 - 17:04:47 EST

"Jason Bleazard" <dml@bleazard.net> wrote:

: On Mon, November 29, 2004 2:33 pm, jon@dakota-truck.net said:
:>
:> When we decide where we will end
:> up, I might have to buy some topographic maps for the area.

: Definitely. Paper maps are easy to find and cheap. The software gets a
: bit expensive. Might be worth doing a group buy on a good software
: package, though. We can wait until fairly soon before the event, to make
: sure it's up to date. Pick the best coverage for the area we'll be in.

   I don't know how up to date it is, since I bought it a couple
of years ago, but I do have Topo USA, and I have the data discs
for the entire US. I actually just got a mailer from Delorme
about the new version, so I know the latest version is out, and
is one step above the one I have. (I haven't studied it real
hard yet to see what the differences are though.)

:> I
:> have Topo USA on my laptop, but I don't know if it would be very
:> useful to bring that since it only has 1/2 hour of battery life.

: Can that generate maps that can be downloaded to mapping GPS units? Our
: eMap uses Delorme's software maps. We have the topo software, but it
: doesn't seem to have a terribly high level of detail. I'm not sure what's
: available now. Last time I looked, the eMap was obsolete, and I didn't
: bother checking to see what new things they've come out with.

   Hmmm, I'm not exactly sure. It does hook up with a GPS, and I
know there are various "handheld" options that you can use to download
to a palm, etc. I don't have those features even installed on my version.
I believe there are capabilities for uploading/downloading waypoints,
I've played with that a little bit. As far as downloading maps to
a GPS, I'm not sure. I want to say that it can, but I really don't
know. (More research is required.) :-)

:> :-) Maybe we could load the software onto one of Jason or Norah's
:> computers if they will be bringing one in the RV, might be useful
:> to have that capability at "base camp".

: Probably we'd just have the laptop, although that could be subject to
: change if needed.

   That would work, assuming there is enough space for the software
of course.

: Speaking of technology camping, a lot campgrounds now are putting in WiFi
: Internet access. Might be a good thing to look for when selecting a
: campground. You can usually get a phone line hookup, but WiFi is
: obviously much cooler.

   Sweet! :-) (Though that would probably put you back in the midst
of all the screaming children?) ;-) Pringles antenna? :-)

: I used to know a site for generating topo maps, worked kind of like
: Mapquest. I'll see if I can find it again.

  Topozone.com perhaps? (I just stumbled across that one the other
day via geocaching.com, I haven't used it to any great extent.)

: If we have net access and
: someone can bring a printer, we can make our own maps as needed. I'd
: definitely want to have some ahead of time as well, to save time.

    I can probably scare up a printer to bring along. I was just thinking
that its a shame I couldn't bring a printer since I would be flying, but
then remembered your offer to pick up heavy junk for me. :-) I could
possibly put together a computer that would be dedicated to running the
topo software, with an attached printer, etc. but I don't know if I
have a computer I could actually send along that is powerful enough
to run the software. (I think all of the computers that can run the
software I use here on a daily basis.) Maybe the Pentium (K5?) that
you dropped off at Daktoberfest is a possibility; I would need to check
the software specs. It can do some really cool stuff like a 3D view
which takes some decent power to run.

:> I guess I should plan on brining some spare FRS radios too,

: What do we think is going to be more common? FRS, or CB? It would
: probably be a good idea to have everyone on the same system. We've tried
: mixing them at the BBQ, and it never works.

  Good question. It always seems to be split. I assume CB would have
better range if we were in the mountains? Then again, we probably wouldn't
be terribly far apart. I just mentioned the FRS since I do have some
spare radios that can be distributed.

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'