Re: DML 10th Anniversary National Meet

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Mon Nov 29 2004 - 16:29:03 EST

On Mon, November 29, 2004 2:33 pm, jon@dakota-truck.net said:

> When we decide where we will end
> up, I might have to buy some topographic maps for the area.

Definitely. Paper maps are easy to find and cheap. The software gets a
bit expensive. Might be worth doing a group buy on a good software
package, though. We can wait until fairly soon before the event, to make
sure it's up to date. Pick the best coverage for the area we'll be in.

> have Topo USA on my laptop, but I don't know if it would be very
> useful to bring that since it only has 1/2 hour of battery life.

Can that generate maps that can be downloaded to mapping GPS units? Our
eMap uses Delorme's software maps. We have the topo software, but it
doesn't seem to have a terribly high level of detail. I'm not sure what's
available now. Last time I looked, the eMap was obsolete, and I didn't
bother checking to see what new things they've come out with.

> :-) Maybe we could load the software onto one of Jason or Norah's
> computers if they will be bringing one in the RV, might be useful
> to have that capability at "base camp".

Probably we'd just have the laptop, although that could be subject to
change if needed.

Speaking of technology camping, a lot campgrounds now are putting in WiFi
Internet access. Might be a good thing to look for when selecting a
campground. You can usually get a phone line hookup, but WiFi is
obviously much cooler.

I used to know a site for generating topo maps, worked kind of like
Mapquest. I'll see if I can find it again. If we have net access and
someone can bring a printer, we can make our own maps as needed. I'd
definitely want to have some ahead of time as well, to save time.

> I guess I should plan on brining some spare FRS radios too,

What do we think is going to be more common? FRS, or CB? It would
probably be a good idea to have everyone on the same system. We've tried
mixing them at the BBQ, and it never works.