Re: DML 10th Anniversary National Meet

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Thu Dec 02 2004 - 18:33:43 EST

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> Yep, I believe Andy is right on that, now that I think about it. I
> think they are more flexible as far as uploading/downloading waypoints
> though, and possibly routes. Worst case scenario, you might be able to
> use the PC software to generate your waypoints of interest, then just use
> whatever map the GPS has in it already for the area, then download the
> waypoints on top of it.

The map formats are definitely proprietary.

I'm pretty sure that the waypoint and route data is more easily
interchanged because it is much simpler. Some of that might even be
included in the NEMA interface format, which would make it more
standardized. Not sure if that's the case, though.

On that note, does anyone know of any software offhand that will
upload/download waypoints from a Garmin GPS? (A GPS III+, specifically).
  Linux or Windows based is fine.

Thanks,

-Bill