Re: FRS radios

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Sun Dec 05 2004 - 20:09:49 EST

On Dec 5, 2004, at 11:55, Barry Oliver wrote:

> GMRS is just a different frequency or channel that attempts to give
> better range. It works in open level ground, but it has the same
> antenna as a frs only radio, and thus a comparable range in terrain.
> Also, in order to use GMRS, all of the participants need to have GMRS
> capability...

actually some frequencies overlap, so there is interoperability.
downside is the licence requirement, upside is they can go to 2 watts
instead of FRS's .5 watt limit on transmit power.

I'm not sure if I've still got the frequency tables handy... my friend
and I went though and figured out all the interop frequencies 2-3 years
ago when he dug out his family's old GMRS radios and got a license for
them.

--
Mike Maskalans   <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
'98 Dakota SLT 318 4x4                    SFA & 35s