DML Geocaching (was: DML 10th Anniversary National Meet)

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 22:58:18 EST

Walt@walt-n-ingrid.com wrote:
: In article <coq715$pus$1@bent.twistedbits.net>, jon@dakota-truck.net writes:
:> Speaking of e-bay, I did check there, no die cast Dakotas, but there
:> are several Dodge Dakota keychains! From $5-10 each. The travel bugs are
:> about $6 each, and it looks like they would easily attach to a keychain.
:> Maybe I'll pick up one or two of each, and we can start 'em off at the
:> National Meet in a couple of different geocaches. :-) Not right now
:> though, I've got a year or so to get around to it. ;-) I'm thinking
:> attach the keychain to the travel bug, maybe write "www.dakota-truck.net"
:> somewhere on the keychain, if someone tracks the bug, they will see a
:> page explaining about the meet, where the bug started, a link to the
:> DML, etc... Would be neat to see how far it travels. :-)

: We could do something like a Gumball Rally with TravelBugs, set 5 Dakota
: die-casts in a GeoCache near the meet and make the goal the closest GeoCache to
: Jon’s place in NY. Rules are, no two Dakota TBs could occupy the same GeoCache
: or be in one person’s possession at the same time with the exception of the
: originating and destination caches. Or another possibility is to do a reverse
: of it after we pick a location for the meet. Have DML members release
: TravelBugs near their home locations and make the destination a GeoCache in the
: area of the 10th Anniversary Meet. Last one there has to pull Tom out of the
: Lake ;-)

: Other GeoCache TravelBug ideas.

: DML Member Photo TB, goal is to see how many DML members can photograph the TB
: on the hood of there own Dakota. Both die-cast and member’s Dakota would have
: to be identifiable in the photo.

: Cruise Control Dakota, goal is to try and maintain a minimum TB average speed
: of 1mph. TB would have to average 24 miles a day, 168 miles a week, 720 miles
: a month or 8640 miles a year to average 1mph. This would be very hard but not
: impossible.

   Heh! Oops, I guess I sort've stole some of your ideas in my
geocaching post on the offtopic list. :-) I like 'em; there are
certainly a number of different things we could do. As far as any
which might require getting to a geocache near DML HQ here, there's
a park about a mile down the road from me, I could probably create
a geocache there, I was thinking of doing that anyway. :-) What
would be really cool is to have a geocache which is actually AT
DML HQ - on the property itself - but I'm not sure I'd want people
wandering around on the property looking for it all the time. :-)

  So I guess the question is, how many DMLers are also into
geocaching? Even though I just stumbled into it myself, count me
among that number. :-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'