Re: DML 10th Anniversary National Meet

From: Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com
Date: Fri Dec 03 2004 - 14:48:00 EST

In article <coq715$pus$1@bent.twistedbits.net>, jon@dakota-truck.net writes:

> "Jason Bleazard" <dml@bleazard.net> wrote:
>
> : On Thu, December 2, 2004 6:09 pm, jon@dakota-truck.net said:
> :>
> :> Does anyone make a die cast Dakota?
>
> : http://tinyurl.com/6jpry
>

> Cool! :-)

Looks like that is 1:18 scale which would be too large for a TB. It would have
to be 1:43 scale (MatchBox or HotWheels)

> : I'm pretty sure we've got one packed away in one of the boxes in our
> : storage room. No, we're not donating any of our collectibles to the
> : geocache. We'll have to find another one on eBay or something.
>

> Speaking of e-bay, I did check there, no die cast Dakotas, but there
> are several Dodge Dakota keychains! From $5-10 each. The travel bugs are
> about $6 each, and it looks like they would easily attach to a keychain.
> Maybe I'll pick up one or two of each, and we can start 'em off at the
> National Meet in a couple of different geocaches. :-) Not right now
> though, I've got a year or so to get around to it. ;-) I'm thinking
> attach the keychain to the travel bug, maybe write "www.dakota-truck.net"
> somewhere on the keychain, if someone tracks the bug, they will see a
> page explaining about the meet, where the bug started, a link to the
> DML, etc... Would be neat to see how far it travels. :-)

We could do something like a Gumball Rally with TravelBugs, set 5 Dakota
die-casts in a GeoCache near the meet and make the goal the closest GeoCache to
Jon’s place in NY. Rules are, no two Dakota TBs could occupy the same GeoCache
or be in one person’s possession at the same time with the exception of the
originating and destination caches. Or another possibility is to do a reverse
of it after we pick a location for the meet. Have DML members release
TravelBugs near their home locations and make the destination a GeoCache in the
area of the 10th Anniversary Meet. Last one there has to pull Tom out of the
Lake ;-)

Other GeoCache TravelBug ideas.

DML Member Photo TB, goal is to see how many DML members can photograph the TB
on the hood of there own Dakota. Both die-cast and member’s Dakota would have
to be identifiable in the photo.

Cruise Control Dakota, goal is to try and maintain a minimum TB average speed
of 1mph. TB would have to average 24 miles a day, 168 miles a week, 720 miles
a month or 8640 miles a year to average 1mph. This would be very hard but not
impossible.

Walt