Re: Hey Maskalans...

From: Josh Battles (josh@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Wed Dec 08 2004 - 10:48:54 EST

<Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com> wrote in message

> Sorry Gary, didn't mean to rant and not answer your question. If your
MCSA is
> in the server 2003 track, you have a much better chance. Because the
latest
> SMS, Exchange and other Microsoft products are so reliant on the 2003 AD
> structure, you actually have a good shot if you have the cert. There are
still
> a number of companies who have or are dragging their feet with 2000. The
> company I'm sub-contracted to now still has NT4 domain controllers. This
is a
> very recognizable financial company. Now they, like many other companies
are
> panicking because they want to move to Exchange 2003 and they don't have
the
> backend in place to support it. 2003 Admins are still a rear bunch though
> their numbers are growing exponentially.

We're running Exchange 2003 on a win2k server and it runs just fine. We
can't run 2k3 in a network environment because we don't have an internal DNS
server, our network guys are tards. The only thing they do really well is
setup Novell to lock you out of every network resource you need - at the
most inopportune time possible, like a saturday night while you're doing an
upgrade.

I agree with you though, if you've got the paperwork for 2k3 already you're
a few steps ahead of the crowd.

> Like Josh stated Cisco doesn't hurt though it's some real dry reading. You
> better know the material before taking one of their tests because you
can't
> flub it like a Microsoft test. If you don't know it, no chance in Hell
you'll
> pass. But if you got Cisco, you're still golden at this point. I still
have
> to get off my ass and finish up with that process myself.

Yeah, it's REALLY boring reading. I was lucky because when I did mine, I
took the classes. There were six 8-week classes that I took that gave me
hands on experience at configuring the routers and everything. It was a
great experience, and I actually know my Cisco stuff. I've got my CCNA and
CCNP, and the money is definately out there if you're willing to look for
it. The last time I looked, I was only able to find jobs out there that
were maybe $5k more (at the most) than what I make now as a programmer, and
my bonus should make up for part of that anyway. I scoured the interenet
for MONTHS to find the stuff I have and I managed to pick up 4 2600 series
routers for $200 shipped from some business that had just upgraded. Of
course I had to do a base load of the new IOS to get them running, but then
again at $50 for a router (and a pirated copy of the IOS) you can't go
wrong. I busted out the books and finally took my re-cert. Let me tell you
that the test is harder than I remembered. Anyway, if you're serious about
Cisco, stick it through and get your CCIE, it'll be worth it in the end. A
few guys that I'm friends with went on to get theirs and after 3 or 4 years
on the job they're almost pulling down 6 figures. Kind of makes me wish I'd
stayed in the program until the end.

> Also, security experience/certifications are carrying some weight these
days as
> well. A lot of opportunities in that area these days.

Security is big business nowdays with everyone everywhere going wireless and
expanding their networks all over the globe, not to mention e-commerce.
Everyone I know who's got the creds in security is just about able to write
their own ticket.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L