Re: 180 t-stat trips code

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Tue Dec 14 2004 - 10:35:33 EST

On December 14, 2004 07:45 am, A. S. wrote:
> The more I think about it, the more it doesn't really make sense. The
> 180 and 195 t-stats should behave the same (closed) until the truck reaches
> a certain temperature, correct? I know that "certain temperature" is
> different for both, but both temps should be in the acceptable range before
> the t-stat opens.

I was also getting code 17 with a 180 t-stat. However, when Bob Tom hooked my
truck up to his scanner, we found that it wasn't sticking open, but what it
was doing was only allowing the truck to warm up to about 168 degrees. These
things aren't calibrated perfectly, there's bound to be some variability in
the manufacturing process.

Might be worth trying to find some way to get a scanner hooked up, or test the
actual temperature to make sure the 180 t-stat is really letting the coolant
get to 180 like it says.