Re: 180 t-stat trips code

From: A. S. (adakota4x4@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 14 2004 - 07:45:28 EST

  The only other thing I've changed in the past year that is related is the
radiator itself. I'm sure the new radiator is much more efficient than the
old one. Maybe that, in combination with the 180 t-stat, is the cause of
the problem.
  The more I think about it, the more it doesn't really make sense. The 180
and 195 t-stats should behave the same (closed) until the truck reaches a
certain temperature, correct? I know that "certain temperature" is
different for both, but both temps should be in the acceptable range before
the t-stat opens.
  I don't *think* the t-stat is sticking open. The guage is reading close
to what it read over the warmer months (about 1/4). The 195 t-stat put the
gauge at about 1/2. It seems like the gauge is getting into normal range in
about the same amount of time that it always has. I don't think it would do
that if the t-stat was stuck open.
  I don't know. I may just go back the the 195 and see what happens. The
only reason I made the switch was because we made the swap to the 180 in my
dad's 97 dak V6 and it worked perfectly through the cold weather last
winter. I do however remember someone else on the list getting a check
engine light after they made the switch. Maybe it's time to check the
archives.
Thanks.
--Aaron--
95 DSRC 4x4 V6