Re: Hey Maskalans...

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Sat Dec 18 2004 - 03:32:09 EST

andy levy wrote:
> When our Windows servers were being run by a couple MCSEs (no longer
> with the company), our environment was a complete mess. Their method of
> "distributing" patches to the various boxes was to use a floppy and go
> server to server. They knew it was inefficient, but it was the only
> thing they could think of, it kept their jobs secure (or so they
> believed), and they never even considered that there might be better
> ways. If you had a question about a box, you might or might not get an
> answer. If a box wasn't working right, they may or may not be able to
> fix it.
>
> One of these MCSEs kept his ID & password (which had domain admin
> rights) taped under his keyboard. And *everyone* knew it was there.
>
> The guys keeping those systems running now do not have MCSEs as far as I
> know. The operation is an order of magnitude more efficient, downtime
> is a tiny fraction of what it was previously, and *they actually know
> what's going on with their systems and can help people when they have
> questions*
>
> Nothing against MCSEs in general, just my own anecdote on how the
> certification isn't much use without a good brain operating it.

Nor is it any good if you have no experience in applying that knowledge.
  Since you can get an MCSE cert with basically no hands-on experience
by studying for the test, it doesn't help much in the real world.

I have no certs (though I can pass most of the practice exams for cisco,
mcse, etc.) to speak of, and yet I'm the one people are calling on to
fix messes. I don't have anything against anyone in particular, and I
do know people with various certifications that really do know what they
are doing, but just having a certification doesn't mean *anything*
anymore. Sometimes I discover how much my clients have paid to have
other work done and it's absolutely insane for what they received.

-Bill