Re: Christine Passed The Compression Test?

From: WiLieR[SS] (waffle787@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Dec 18 2004 - 12:51:14 EST

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 22:31:14 -0600, Terrible Tom
<SilverEightynine@aol.com> wrote:
> Most cyls hit about 90-100 PSI off the first stroke - passenger side
> seemed to pump up slightly slower. But I'm wondering if that is just
> because I have suspiscions about the passenger bank. It feels as if its
> lacking power however, and it stalls when I shift into drive or reverse.
> The load on the engine is enough to kill it without slight throttle.
> As my tach no longer works, I can't see what my RPMs are doing.

Get a tach on her and double check the timing. My old 88 Dakota would
crank, run nice and smooth, pass compression with flying colors,
etc... But would die when I dropped it into drive or reverse. After
much head scratching we put a tach on her and checked the timing.
Idle speed was low by about 150rpm and the timing was way off. So we
set the idle, adjusted the timing and I never had another problem with
the old Dakota dieing again when I put it in gear.

If I remember correctly it was an 88 Dakota with 3.9Litre tbi and the
42rh trans I think. It was a three speed trans with an od unit on the
back end.

Will