Christine Passed The Compression Test?

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Fri Dec 17 2004 - 23:31:14 EST

Well I am at something of a loss to understand my findings. Perhaps I
did something wrong?

I performed a compression test as per the instructions in the Haynes
manual. Warmed up the engine to normal operating temp, pull the plugs,
pull the coil wire and the computer harness (to keep the injectors from
pulsing fuel) and watch the readings. The cyls were all at roughly 150
PSI after about 5 compression strokes. According to the specs the
engine should have a min. 100 PSI - with no more than 40 PSI variance
among them.

Most cyls hit about 90-100 PSI off the first stroke - passenger side
seemed to pump up slightly slower. But I'm wondering if that is just
because I have suspiscions about the passenger bank. It feels as if its
lacking power however, and it stalls when I shift into drive or reverse.
  The load on the engine is enough to kill it without slight throttle.
As my tach no longer works, I can't see what my RPMs are doing.

I'm going to put it on insurance again and drive her around and see if
the engine starts using oil. I seem to notice a darker deposit like
substance on the dipstick when I check the oil. Subsequint oil dips -
after the first dip do not produce this blackish residue. My brain
thinks it could be so sort of sooty residue from blow by? It seems to
only be there when the engine has not been run for a while. (checking
oil before starting up after periods of being dormant)

(sigh) This truck needs lotsa work still.

Attention Infidels: I am your official DBDoMPfIWUMOT!