RE: Whats up with my transfer case

From: Ryan Arsenault (wibbyo@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 28 2004 - 06:59:03 EST

well i sorta had the same prob in my 93 for a bit... then when i got my
tranny rebuilt i found the problem.... not tranny.... the shifter for the
4x4 has a shaft it turns on... and that has a stupid little PLASTIC sleeve
and u know plastic sticks to rust and crap like that... so that is what
happened... with some time i got the shifter off the shaft cleaned it with
some steel wool... and actually put on a greese nipple... works great now...
the shifter has a rubber gromet so that it makes it feel its going into
place but actually the rubber is just turning and not the plastic sleeve...
check that out... easy to get out only 2 bolts on the side of the tranny and
the quick dissconect from the T Case.... put it in a vise and work on it....
free it all up real good and pound the grease to it.. or put a nipple into
it :)...... hope this helps ya... that is what happened to me anyways...
cheers

93 dakota 4x4 ext v6.... fried tranny
92 dakota 4x4 ext v8 cab just got on the road
89 dakota convertable 2wd
88 dak 4x4 reg cab parts...
lookin at 93 dakota reg 4x4 v6 for parts :P