Re: control arm bushings: almost all the way to a front end rebuild...

From: Kevin S. (ksellstr@softcom.net)
Date: Sat Jan 01 2005 - 13:52:43 EST

Eric Huff wrote:

> So, after 63k miles (6 years), just about all 8 control arm bushing
> have gone bad.
>
> Is this normal for these trucks?
>
> eric

I imagine they have, they are a bit small and tend to get cooked by the
heat of the exhaust manis. Chrysler knows this (as they also know of
the bad ball joints) but is unconcerned about us pre 2000 Dak owners
(can you hear any frustration in there??). At 46k my upper ball joints
and upper bushings are shot!

I fought DC to get these replaced under my service contract, and finally
got frustrated enough to give up and fix it right. Go for the Moog ball
joints that are greasable and the Prothane bushings that will last
longer and handle better. The cost of all of these parts will be much
less than ONE OEM upper control arm! FYI however, the bushings do
squeak a little after they wear in - regardless of the amount of grease
you get in there - but they're not too bad and well worth the improvements.

I believe the Prothane part # was 4-213 for the front suspension, it's
been a while, and the cost was under $50 from Summit. I did have to
special order them at the time so they took a while to get, maybe they
stock them now.

Good Luck,

Kevin

--
Kevin Sellstrom, W6KTB      E-Mail:ksellstr@softcom.net
             ***Wilton, California***

'99 Dodge Dakota CC, 4x4, 5.2, '69 Dodge D200, 4x2, 318,

Also: '83 Volvo 244Ti, '62 Volvo 122S, '68 Volvo 122S, '98 Specialized Rockhopper A1FS