Re: Re: I want to hear from more [rambling] DMLers!!!

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com)
Date: Sun Jan 02 2005 - 19:23:26 EST

Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com wrote:
> Without sounding like I’m flaming any of the other Dakota boards out there, I
> believe many of them are factions, fractured off of the DML. I remember seeing
> the operators of the Dakota R/T list, Dakota USA and DodgeDakotas.com, to name
> a few, here before their boards came to be. I think some people didn’t like
> the email format of the DML and wanted a web forum style instead. While I
> frequent and actively participate in a couple of them, the DML is the
> granddaddy of them all and still my favorite. But, It would be nice to get
> some of the other groups in on a national meet. The more people, the better.
>
> Walt

Actually, I wish it were possible to do both, togeather. Forums are
easier to browse, especially if you aren't at home, and a bit easier to
search than the archives [in theory]. The advantage to Email is it is
much more "personal" in that I have made much closer friendships via
email than I could ever make over a forum. The best comparison I can
come up with is it's like the difference between a Restaraunt an a Mall.
  In a restaraunt, we are all togeather, even if we are at different
tables, if something happens we are all "in on it". A forum, like a
mall, is much more segmented, and it is entirely possible to have
something major happen and the bulk of the members not know about it
because it was in the next store/thread, and they just didn't go there.
   Some people like that approach, but I don't think it's possible for a
forum to engender the feeling of family that an Email list does.