Re: Re: front wheel bearing play in 99 dakota 2WD: still there

From: Eric Huff (mopar@ehuffy.com)
Date: Mon Jan 03 2005 - 11:27:45 EST

> > I just went out and retorqued the spindle nut. I even oiled the
> > threads lightly first, but the bearing is still loose.

> Just a word of caution here... If you removed the spindle nut
> instead of just re-tghtening the thing while it was still on
> there, you're going to have to probably replace it. They're one
> time use only items, and once you crush that nylock ring, it's
> game over.

Yeah, i'm prepared to replace it. The nylon ring was still tight,
though, in that when i put the nut back on, it took a reasonable
force to turn.

Isn't that ring just there to keep the nut from coming off if it
somehow loosens up a little? I can't see how it would actually keep
it from loosening in the 1st place.

eric

--
1974 Valiant 4-door, 318