Re: Re: front wheel bearing play in 99 dakota 2WD: still there

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Mon Jan 03 2005 - 14:19:56 EST

On Jan 3, 2005, at 09:21, Josh Battles wrote:

> "Eric Huff" <mopar@ehuffy.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I just went out and retorqued the spindle nut. I even oiled the
>> threads lightly first, but the bearing is still loose.
>>

> Just a word of caution here... If you removed the spindle nut instead
> of
> just re-tghtening the thing while it was still on there, you're going
> have to probably replace it. They're one time use only items, and
> once you
> crush that nylock ring, it's game over.

as long as we're picking nits,

torque ratings are also only good for clean, dry threads. they take
into account the friction of the threads, so oil or grease in the
threads will increase clamping force (and resultant stresses on threads
and shanks) for a given radial torque and thread locker or dirt or
anything else "sticky" will do the opposite.

--
Mike Maskalans   <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
'98 Dakota SLT 318 4x4                    SFA & 35s