Re: Re: front wheel bearing play in 99 dakota 2WD

From: Eric Huff (mopar@ehuffy.com)
Date: Mon Jan 03 2005 - 23:28:06 EST

"Josh Battles" <josh@omg-stfu.com> wrote:

> I've done both of my front wheel bearings and neither of them have
> any play whatsoever. I used mopar parts though, perhaps that
> makes a difference? Also, how tight did you tighten the nut?
> IIRC, it's something rediculous like 195 ft/lbs

Thanks for all the help folks.

I bought an assembly from mopar and put it on today. It has *way*
less play, but still a little. If i under-torqued it, it was just
barely.

The threads look good and unmarred, and i cleaned them out
with brake cleaner. Very clean, dry, etc.

I realize that at this point i am being paranoid, and looking very
closely for play, but it is quite frustrating. I'm just going to
pay attention to it and listen for problems.

When i think about this setup, it's hard to believe that you
could get a no-play situation every time without having some
bearings get over tightened.

eric

--
1974 Valiant 4-door, 318