Re: Freekin Emissions Inspection!(long & whiny...)

From: Josh Battles (josh@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Tue Jan 04 2005 - 11:08:22 EST

<Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com> wrote in message

> In CT, first thing they do is look for the Cat. No Cat = No Test. At one
time
> they used to bust balls a little if the exhaust system didn't appear to be
of a
> stock design (i.e. duals on a vehicle that didn't originally come with
them). A
> buddy of mine in my car club got into an argument with an inspector once
> because they refused to test his 1977 Midnight Express. The inspector
refused
> to test the truck saying the exhaust stacks were not factory, despite the
fact
> Spike had an original 1977 sales brochure showing one with the stacks. Now
he
> doesn't have a problem because vehicles over 25 years are exempt from
testing.

> As far as my '88 Dakota goes, I don't really drive the truck that much.
It's a
> Trail Rig. My 2000 Ram that will pass pollutes far more the '88 that
won't
> pass. I drove the Ram 30k last year. I drove the Dakota 200 miles. But
> unfortunately, if I don't spend the $600 I can't get the exemption. Which
> believe is only for a couple of years if I were able to get one. So I'd
have
> to do this every couple of years for the next nine if I want to keep it
exempt.
> If you fail, you get a free retest within 30 days. If you fail that or go
over
> 30 days, it's another $20. I'll spend the $20 to have it fail the test
every
> time I get the nasty letter from the state then wait for the next one. As
slow
> as their system works, I think I'll only have to take it down once or
twice a
> year.
>
> Walt
> http://WWW.Walt-n-Ingrid.Com

They don't really care what you have on your exhaust, as long as they can
get the sniffer into the end of it. Supposedly IL requires mufflers in
addition to the cat, but I've never seen anyone actually get under a vehicle
and check for anything. Hell, I went in with open headers one year and all
they wanted to know was whether I had the rest of the system at home waiting
to go on. I always go to the emissions test center in the ghetto because
they're too concerned with moving as slowly as humanly possible to care what
you've got on the exhaust of your vehicle.

I don't know about CT, but IL has an exemption form that you can fill out
saying that your vehicle is used only for show/trail usage and is driven
under X miles/year. You have to file for exemption (it's free) every year,
but it's better than having to pass a test....

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L