Re: Freekin Emissions Inspection!(long & whiny...)

From: DAKSY (rsmith13@nycap.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2005 - 09:50:09 EST

Hey, Jon!

 <snip> Any chance you can go to an inspection station which isn't quite so
anal?<snip>

I'm already at #2

<snip> How about the mechanic you are having work on the DAKSY? Does
 he do NYS inspections? Hey, if you can let it drag on until the
 BBQ, I can get you an appointment at a "good" inspection station.<snip>

Yes, he does NYS inspections...He's a good machanic, too...
I don't think I can afford to keep payong the $11 for the 10-day sticker so
I can get to the BBQ in July!

 <snip> Something rattling around in the back of my brain is saying
something about a loophole here... I don't recall the details,
 but I seem to recall reading/hearing somewhere that if there is
an emissions problem with your vehicle that prevents it from
 passing inspection, if you try X number of times (3?) (or spend
$X?) to fix the problem and it still is not resolved, they will
pass you.<snip>

Hmmm...well the P0442 MIL came back, so I DO have an evap leak somewhere...
She's gotta go to a 5* for the ball joints so maybe I can schedule both...

<snip>Now my brain is starting to go into "loophole" mode again -
does anyone know if NY requires the OBD-II port to work? ;-)
 A little snip here and a little snip there (perhaps install a
 switch in a remote location...) They can't pull the codes if
 the port doesn't work.<snip>

Hmmm..not sure about that one...Which part of your brain came up with that
one? The "LOOP" side or the "HOLE" side???!?!?8-)

<snip>Another possible option - do you
 have another computer you can borrow for the duration of the
 inspection<snip>

Negatory...Crikey! Ican't even get other DAK owners to sign onto the
list...& I don't know anyone with a 2K 4X4 either ...

Bob Smith (DAKSY2K on AIM)
Averill Park, NY
2K DAK SY CC Sport + V6 4X4 5 Speed

WebPage URL: http://home.nycap.rr.com/daksy/