Re: Re: Re: Question of Legality in USA, Blue and Amber Rotating Beacon Lights Mounted on Roof of Dakota 4X4, Ontario Canada Truck

From: Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com
Date: Fri Jan 07 2005 - 08:06:34 EST

In article <opsj7dyvthxevqpy@mail.comcast.net>, 03dakotaCC4.7_4x4@comcast.net
(droo) writes:

> I think the light colors are set by the feds. Not including emergency
> vehicle flashers. That way you can tell which way a vehicle is facing at
> night. Most states have a square inch requirment for the taillights. There
> where the problems come from with the clear lights even the bulbs are the
> correct color.

Actually, I believe the problem with the clear taillights was they were not DOT
approved as required by law and DOT isn’t going to approve them if they don’t
have some sort of Red lens in the assembly. I haven’t heard the square inch
requirement before but I know CT has a visible intensity. The illuminated lamp
has to be visible from a minimum of 1000 feet.

Sec. 14-96c. Tail lamps. Illumination of rear registration plate. (a) After
October 1, 1967, every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer and pole trailer,
and any other vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a combination of
vehicles, shall be equipped with at least two tail lamps mounted on the rear,
which, when lighted as required in subsection (a) of section 14-96a, shall emit
a red light plainly visible from a distance of one thousand feet to the rear,
except that passenger cars manufactured or assembled prior to October 1, 1957,
and motorcycles shall have at least one such tail lamp. On a combination of
vehicles, only the tail lamps on the rearmost vehicle need actually be seen
from the distance specified. On vehicles equipped with more than one tail lamp,
the lamps shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as
practicable.
(b) Every tail lamp upon every vehicle shall be located at a mounted height of
not more than seventy-two inches nor less than fifteen inches.
(c) The rear registration plate shall be so illumined with a white light as to
render it clearly legible from a distance of fifty feet to the rear. Any tail
lamp or tail lamps, together with any separate lamp or lamps for illuminating
the rear registration plate, shall be so wired as to be lighted whenever the
head lamps or auxiliary driving lamps are lighted, except that any vehicle
equipped by the manufacturer with daytime running lamps which meet federal
requirements may have such daytime running lamps illuminated without
illumination of the tail lamps or rear registration plate.
(d) Failure to have tail lamps or failure to illuminate the rear registration
plate as required in this section shall be an infraction

Walt
http://www.Walt-n-Ingrid.Com