Re: Tranny Leaking.. Need Suggestions

From: Josh Battles (josh@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2005 - 11:14:24 EST

<egiblock@runbox.com> wrote in message

> ok.. so my truck has been in storage for about a month and half for the
> winter.. last weekend it was nice outside, so i pulled it outside, and
> notices that i have a leak somewhere, and that it's leaking tranny fluid.
not
> much, but enough to make it noticible on the garage floor. (maybe about a
drip
> puddle and 4 ft of a thin line going to the drain).

Did you check the level in the pan once the trans was up to operating temp?
How low is it reading?

> anyways, what are my options with this thing ??? can they fix that like a
> radiator where they can pump liquid into it and sort of pressure test it
> find out where the leak is?

I'd be willing to bet that it's either a pan gasket or a tailshaft seal. Do
you see any "wet" spots on the underside of the trans?

> it's a 1999 dodge dakota 3.9v6 club cab sport. with about 79,000 miles.
the
> tranny has never been messed with, it's the original fluid and all that
> stuff...

You should have been changing that fluid at 30k mile intervals at least. I
run synthetic and my trans guy tells me that I have to have it done at 12k
mile intervals to keep the warranty on their work for the full 3/36. Before
that, I used to do it at 20k mile intervals (or about once a year).

> also, when it was cold outside last winter, the truck would always have
> problems shifting between 3-4 (automatic). it would rev relly high and
then
> shift into gear after high revving for a little bit...

That sounds like a problem to me. I know my problems getting into overdrive
were related to having all the passageways inside the valve body completely
clogged with metal. I know there's always been issues with OD on these
trucks and I think APS has made some parts that'll help if your trans is in
good health internally.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L