Re: Freekin Emissions Inspection!(long & whiny...)

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Jan 10 2005 - 12:09:00 EST

"Jason Bleazard" <dml@bleazard.net> wrote:
: On Wed, January 5, 2005 1:11 pm, jon@dakota-truck.net said:
:>
:> That would be an interesting product though - a device you can
:> wire into your OBD-II port, which will mimic a properly functioning
:> computer, except for the codes. To be sold for novelty use only,
:> of course... ;-)

: I'm sure it already exists. When you're debugging any communications
: protocol, you have to debug one side at a time, which means you need to
: have some way of faking the data coming from the other side.

   Yep - I'm sure they've got all sorts of toys like that out there
at the DC tech center. :-)

: What does the communication look like, anyway? Doesn't it just go across
: a standard serial port? That can probably be done with a Palm Pilot once
: you figure out the wiring specification.

: Theoretically speaking, of course.

   I actually looked into this - a few years ago, a couple of friends
and myself were thinking of making a code reader that could be used
by a Windows CE, Palm, Laptop, etc. There are basically 3 different
protocols (ISO, PWM, VPW), and various manufacturers use different
protocols. Chrysler mainly uses the ISO protocol and IIRC, Ford uses
PWM, those are the only two I remember, but there are lists out there
showing what manufacturers/vehicles use which protocol.) Anyway,
long story short, it wasn't exactly a cut and dry, nice simple
serial protocol. Between that, the cost of the research materials
we would need to write the protocols and the appearance of lower cost
code readers entering the market at about the same time, we scrapped
the idea.

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'