RE: Jiffy Lube - Stupidity at its finest...

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Thu Jan 27 2005 - 12:57:52 EST

Chances are better it won't happen at the dealer but it's no guarentee. When my
wife bought her new Avenger back in 97 part of the deal was free oil changes
for the duration of the warranty. She dropped it off at the dealers 5-star
service department for one of her free oil changes. I brought her back to pick
it up and got caught about 5 or 6 cars behind her. About a mile down the road
her car started to look like mosquito control out from under the car. By the
time I was able to catch up with her and get her flagged over I had visions of
a ruined engine. They had left the cap off the valve cover and oil was
splashing over onto the exhaust, fortunatley it was only down a 1/2 qt and no
damge was done (and the cap was sitting on the core support).

My point is that overly tight oil filters from the factory is a long standing
issue. Having been a quality professional for the better part of 20 years the
only sure way to fix a problem is to discover the root cause and fix it there.

I deal with it myself because I get a great deal of self satisfaction from
doing my own maintainence and repairs. And, I am 100% positive how the job was
done.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4