Re: Intake Manifolds: M1 vs Edelbrock?

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Sat Feb 05 2005 - 12:23:25 EST

Mopar Performance has two 4bbl M1 intakes that fit magnum heads.
P5007381 is a dual plane with mounting for a square bore 4bbl.
P5007380 is a single plane with dual mounting for square and spread bore 4bbls.

Edelbrock is now offering a a dual plane intake in there RPM Air-Gap line for
magnum heads.

Professional Products has a dual plane, Cross-Wind, that is very similar to the
RPM Air-Gap but has a couple of unique features. It has mounting provisions for
both magnum and LA heads and comes with bosses for nitrous/FI.

The mopar M1 dual plane will likely be the best choice if you are looking for
maximum low rpm torque. The M1 single plane would be best for max high rpm
power.

The Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap is arguably the best street manifold available. It
gives up very little on the top end to a single plane and has most of the
torque generating ability of a smaller port dual plane. I have yet to see any
object testing on the Cross-Wind but at $100 less than the Air-Gap it's very
attractive.

I am currently screwing together a LA 360 with magnum heads for my 68
Barracuda. I had my son check on prices at the Jeep dealer where he works and I
can get the M1 dual plane for $230. The Air-Gap is available form several
sources for $269 and the Cross-Wind is $169. I am not at a point where I have
to make a decision so I have been holding out hoping for some real positive
test results on the Cross-Wind. The other option I have is to drill/tap the
magnum heads for a standard LA manifold ans use the Weiand Excelerator that I
have on the shelf.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4