Re: 96 vs 97 vs 98 computers

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2005 - 19:38:52 EST

At 05:39 PM 2/7/05, you wrote:
>What was changed between 96, 97, and 98 models for the computers?
>If all trucks were 3.9l v-6 with automatic trans and all else being equal
>(trim level, options, etc...), what would prevent a 98 comp from being
>used on a 97 or a 96. I know 96 was the first year for OBD-II and the
>last of the Gen-II, 97 brought in the Gen-III and 98 was a refinement
>of the Gen-III. But what changed in the programing that prevents a 98
>comp from being compatible with a 96 powertrain? Will

I know that, with a 96 pcm in a 97 (and I assume 98 and up), the gauges
in the 97 dash (speedometer, odometer, oil pressure, water temp, tach.)
will not work. D-C completely changed how the wiring went to the dash
from the sensors. Also, some idiot lights will not function properly,
e.g. empty gas tank lamp will be lit, etc.).

With the 98, you have to flash the vin and mileage into the pcm. The vss
in the 98 and up was combined with the rear abs on the rear diff. whereas
on the 96 and 97, the vhs is in the tranny.

Safe to assume as well is that, for each succeeding year, the pcms
were programmed to meet more and more stringent emission standards :-(

Bob Tom Ontario, Canada
97 Dakota CC Sport, na modded 5.2L, 4x2, 44RE w transgo, 4.56 SG,
      3000 stall converter, 4175 lb race weight, 13.76 @ 99.65