Re: Where's my LSD?

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Mon Feb 07 2005 - 19:32:22 EST

Andy,
A limited slip does not "kick in". There is a set of clutch that causes an
equal amount of torque to be applied to both wheels up to the point that the
clutches slip then it will continue to apply that amount of torque to the wheel
that is has the most traction but will allow the other wheel to spin like an
open differential if it's on a surface with much less traction. The tighter the
clutches the more torque differential between the tires is required to cause
the clutches to slip. The clutches can't be to tight or you would effectively
driving a locked rear end, it's a compromise between smoothness around corners
and traction to both wheels.

So if one wheel is on ice and the other on dry pavement you will get what you
experienced. If both wheels are on a surface with relatively equal traction
then both wheels will slip at the same time, i.e., burn out :)

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4

In article <cu8ap6$kp9$1@bent.twistedbits.net>, andy-dml@levyclan.us (andy