Re: Where's my LSD?

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Tue Feb 08 2005 - 07:40:30 EST

Depends on what you mean by "full locker". The serious off roaders use a
differential that uses air to lock and unlock the differential. In the locked
postion the differential is for all pratical purposes a spool and has no
diferential action. In the un-locked position the differential is an open,
there is no in between. Yes, a locked differential would not have allowed you
to have one wheel spining and the other stationary.

The "Detroit Locker", Power Trax and other such mechanical racheting type LSDs
still perform the same function as a clutch type LSD. The main advantage is
there are no clutches to wear over time and the disadvantage is they are not as
smooth and tend to be noisey.

I believe the new gear type LSD's (Quaifee and the one being advertised by
Auburn) actually route the torque to the wheel with the most traction, so these
will allow for the different wheel speed for going around corners but won't
allow one wheel to be stationary while the other spins. These are real big
bucks and there is limited availability.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4

In article <cu9g0p$8uh$2@bent.twistedbits.net>, andy-dml@levyclan.us (andy