Clunk from left side

From: Josh Battles (josh@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2005 - 09:33:32 EST

Last night on my way to school I noticed that I was getting a loud metallic
clunk sound from the left side of the truck whenever I go over any kind of
bump going faster than like 20mph. I first noticed it when I went over a
swell in the road and the front end bounced. I drove home on the sideroads
from school because I was afraid to take it on the highway. When I got home
I layed down (in the rain no-less) and checked everything out with a
flashlight. I couldn't see anything that would be causing the noise, the
shock mounts all look fine as do the control arm bushings. The only thing I
wasn't able to check was balljoints because I didn't lift the truck up and
move them. I also couldn't get a clear view of the motor mounts. One thing
I did notice is that the left wheels appears to have slightly more negative
camber than the right. Could this be indicative of a loose control arm bolt
on the top (where they slide)? I didn't see any markings like something had
been moving around, but I didn't really check very well.

My question to you, DML, is what could cause this? The bearings in the
front look tight, and it doesn't make the same clunk noise that they made
when they went bad, however there is a little grease that has weeped out of
both sides and is hanging around on the edges of the retaining nut. Is this
normal? I know the old ones didn't do this.

What would a broken body mount sound like? Could this be that? Any
suggestions on what to check out would be greatly appreciated. Hell, I was
even thinking about taking it in and saying that the upper joints seemed
loose just to get them to replace em and see if that solves my problems. At
least I'd get an alignment out of the deal.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L